Watch our four legged friends as they go to work with amazing speed and agility.
AT THE SCOTTISH GAME FAIR
The gundog area is always a hive of activity as wagging tails and excited handlers prepare to take part in the various tests and competitions throughout the weekend.
A new purpose-built arena will host all the working tests and will replicate many of the situations encountered out shooting. Dogs are being tested on their hunting, marking and retrieving abilities as well as their steadiness to shot. Handlers are being judged on their skills in directing and controlling their dog.
Whether you have your own gundog in training or are simply a dog lover, the gundog area is packed full of four-legged friends eager to show off their skills. On top of that, a wide selection of traders including Bark & Ride, Collared Creatures, Dogrobes, Lazy Pawzzz and The Ruff and Tumble Dog Company will be selling everything from dog beds and training aids to quality food and dog drying robes.
ANY VARIETY ALL AGE SPANIEL TEST
- Friday 9:30-12:30
ANY VARIETY ALL AGE RETRIEVER TEST
- Friday 1st July 13:30-16:30
ANY VARIETY OPEN SPANIEL TEST
- Sunday 9:30-12:30
ANY VARIETY OPEN RETRIEVER TEST
- Sunday 13:30-16:30
JUNIOR HANDLER TESTS
- Sunday 2nd July 12:30-13:30
- For handlers aged between 11-16.
- Dogs are to be steady off the lead and only one dog can be run per handler. Register at Gun Dog Control any time over the weekend until 11am on Sun 3rd July. Limited to 10 handlers.
- Friday – Sunday 9:30-16:30
- Each competitor has two runs, timed separately and added together to give his/her total time.
- Entry Fee is £4.
- Competitors may enter as often as they wish.
- Prizes (tankards and dog food vouchers) will be awarded each day:
- Open – 1st, 2nd, 3rd
- Junior (16 and under) 1st, 2nd, 3rd
- A perpetual trophy will be awarded to the fastest time over the three days of the event.
- Prize giving will be after 16:30 each day at the Scurry.
Four Nations International Gundog Competition
Returning for 2023 is the purpose-built arena where the Four Nations International Gundog Competition will take place and brings together teams from Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales. Spaniels (three per team) will compete in the morning and retrievers (three per team) in the afternoon.
All gundog working tests will be held under Kennel Club rules. Entry for individuals in all competitions is by invitation. The tests will also be held in the new arena and will replicate many of the situations encountered out shooting. Dogs are being tested on their hunting, marking and retrieving abilities as well as their steadiness to shot. Handlers are being judged on their skills in directing and controlling their dog.
Saturday 09.30 – 16.30 | Prizes 16.45